FAQ : Fiqa and Art

Hi Everyone,

This blog entry is dedicated to those that often asked me and for those who want to know more about how my daughter, Fiqa embark on this journey of being a young artist.

Her interest is majorly on Art but besides art, we expose to her other form of activities so at least she knows the difference and there is always option. Having a freedom to choose what she wants also help her to decide which dream she want to pursue. Fiqa learns gymnastic, contemporary dance and she is a fitness leader in school. But no matter how many times she tries she will always love art before anything else.

So to those that is curious, I want to do a little disclaimer. We don't force Fiqa on the things she doesn't want, we see her ability based on her, we never compare her and we always allow her creativity to flow but some time her creativity can be the wildest imagination. Have fun with kids and don't expect so much from your child coz you child is still a CHILD after all.


So here we go!

Q1: Was she born with the skill? I get a lot of question on this.
Nope I don't think so...... but from what I can remember she love to hold a pen at a very young age, she will scribble anything on a piece of paper at a young age. We did realized that she always prefer books and Art & Craft more than toys but we never deprive from toys either.

Q2: When was her first art work?
Like most kids her 1st art work she did was a picture of herself for a school work. Nothing crazy during her first art work but she was proud of it and started to draw from there. Sadly I don't have a picture of it.

Q3: How long have she been doing this?
Since she was a toddler we expose her to Drawing Blocks, Pencil, Crayon and paints. She is 10 years old now, ever since she was much younger I would say almost every day she would practice her art work, from tons of drawing blocks to tons of sketch books. Till now she have so much art work that we don't even have space to hand it at home.


Q4: How did we expose her to love art?
Well I guess that would be me hahahaha Nope it was pretty natural for her she just love it! Often I would bring her to places where it can be inspiring. Even at home sometimes we would sit down and doddle something out and often it end up well. Our favorite place is Singapore Art Museum, this place gives her idea to think and feel inspired.

Like celebrity only.....
Q5: How to encourage my kids to love art?
Hmmmm tricky, coz there isn't a right way to do this but everything depends on your kid. For me the support system we have at home is most important. Where all of us are always encouraging her to love what she love most. If they like soccer encourage them to play ball, if they like dressing up and play pretend encourage them to attend drama class, if they like music let them play an instrument. Every child is different they have their own unique ability.

Q6: How much we spend on her love for Art?
I can't remember but almost every other day week, we will spend on drawing blocks, paints and whatsnot. Every month she attends art class. I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend for your child, to me there is no right and wrong coz most of the time Fiqa recycle stuffs to make art too. No more spend on recycling!

Q7: What will her future be if she major in Art, can she earn money? if she attends SOTA and decided to drop? what if she said that she no longer want to do art?
First of all, it's true I do get people telling me all the negativity, I take every each of it like a pinch of salt. If every she decides to stop I am okay about it, kids change their mind like every single minute maybe it's not meant to be. But looking at Fiqa doing this every single day without feeling bored it says another thing, it says when you are passionate and hard working good things will come.

I do want to see Fiqa major in Art it's because it is something she love and I see that. I do feel its less pressure to stay main stream and fight your life in Singapore's Education system. Doing art can also secure your future and dream too. If you are sincere, god will in return give you what you need.

This is Einstein, Marion and Fiqa from last year Art Exhibition which Fiqa contributed 2 of her art work.


And again for this year Exhibition at STPI another 2 more art work was contributed.

Her confident in art and talent is being nurtured by this lady name Ms Tan from SF Galleries.


Fiqa have a long way to go in fact she made plans for the future already (i never pressure her!) but she insist to try and enter SOTA after PSLE which she is currently working very hard towards that goal.

This is just a humble beginning for us and definitely an interesting one. If you have anything to ask, do drop me an email at lovesand@live.com I will be more than happy to reply you.

Have a good day!

Comments

Popular Posts