Review on #%$# Interior Design Company Pte Ltd - Singapore

This need to get out of my system, I thought about it for far too long and many are waiting for me to say it out. I am about to tell you this daunting journey of engaging an Interior Design company for our new home.

But first! must do a disclaimer: My intentions to this blog post is to always give my honest opinion and to share my experience with all of you. Getting an ID is not cheap and everyone needs to know what they are getting into with their hard earn money. Also, this is based on my experience it is totally up to you to make a judgement. Whether you experience the same fate I won't know but unfortunately, this happens to us. This is just purely on my review and my side of the story, no "animal" were harm during the drafting of my blog (hahaha) 

*This is a long blog post so better grab your kopi-o or teh-tarik while reading this.



So here is my story:

I was in the market for a reliable and established Interior Design company, that would be able to cater to our timeline and attention to details (my main focus is my kitchen, I am willing to spend money for it). After looking through quotation after quotation, we decided to go with #%$# Interior Design. They were highly advertised and had done some reputable bloggers home. For these reasons, we thought we were confident to engaged them.

4 month before we got hold of our house keys from HDB, we spoke to Sam (obviously not the real name) from #%$# Interior Design to confirm the quotation package for our house and to let him know that we will be working on a tight schedule (we sold our current house and we only have a short period of time to move into the new house). One of the 1st hurdles we face was trying to get an appointment seems like a "luck" between us and him, Marion and I work irregular hours but we always make sure that we try to accommodate to his availability.

In July 2014, we made the deposit payment of $1000 to secure the quotation and 3D drawings. 1 week later we received the 3D drawings but it was not entirely what we wanted but it seems like drawings are "generic" kind. At this point, he has not given me the revised quotation since we decided to add some items, as I wanted to build a wall for my study area so I send him a picture of how I want the wall to look like and ask him for a quote in the quotation. FYI, the quote I got was $33,000 +/- total figure before adding on to the wall. So as usual, I texted him to remind him about the quote and he told me that he was busy and overwhelmed with his clients since he was so busy with client's enquiries. At this point I was still positive and naively thinking that this guy must be good la since people are requesting for him and it took him 1 week to give me a quotation after so much reminder..... ooh not forgetting that he promised that he can do the renovation within 3-4 weeks. We also talked about the payment issue, we were told that we can do a "Buy and Sell" scheme which allows us to start the renovation works while waiting for our cash sale proceeds from HDB to be cleared.

On 17 July 2014, he suddenly texted me to say he don't have my floor plan and request for me to send the floor plan via email, hmmmm how can an ID lost a floor plan?? At this point I was still kind and nice to email him and still think positively of him. I am assuming he lost our details as well..... but still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

From this point forward was a waiting game for me to receive the house keys from HDB......

In mid-September, we informed Sam of the tight schedule that we have and we need a schedule form him so we would be able to arrangement some living arrangement if the renovation work cannot be completed on time. But we never see the schedule at all, not even an estimate timeline, we are reasonable people we don't expect perfection but we need something..... despite this we still think positive.

So he told me that we need to choose materials first and bla bla bla so came to my place and pass me sample boards for table tops and wood laminate. How to choose when you can't even envision the house?? Don't we need some design advice from him to make such decision? Weird right? but just giving us the sample board and letting us decide this way. At least, when we have the correct 3D maybe we could somehow decide, okay never mind this.

So on 19 September 2014, we finally got the keys to the new house, we quickly bring all cleaning essentials and head to the new house to clean up and check defects, thank god there was no major defect and left with minor defects that can still get away with. Again on that day, we informed Sam of the tight schedule for the renovations works, Sam still has not appeared at our place to take the exact measurement or whatsoever. Suddenly he started texting me, to ask if I have ordered the air-con coz he could recommend a cheap supplier (he like to "memalut" or "go off topic"), started telling us about a 1 stop shop to get things but yet he still can't meet us the new house and to discuss the schedule of the works. Ended up me and my mum went to see him at his showroom a few days after, Marion was too busy so he left me and my mum in charge to make the decisions.

On 20 September 2014, after talking about the design of the kitchen and a few items to take off from the quotation he gave me he was still struggling to give me the final quotation. And here is where tables get turned, after all, the question we asked him "So when can you start the reno work?" he suddenly told me that he require some $10,000 deposit to start work. Then I told him about the "Buy and Sell" scheme that we talked about he told me that will take 2 weeks to process and it was "leceh" (difficult) huh? I like literally went huh? I insist to the scheme but he insists I take a bank loan instead his reason is that the process is faster. What happen to his words on the "Buy and Sell" scheme?? (FYI, I had all the necessary document needed for this scheme)

Let's recap a bit:
- Hard to arrange for an appointment.
- Lost of floor plan.
- Expect me to know which material to choose for what item.
- Struggling with revised quotation.
- Keep going off topic and not deal with important issue.
- Kept saying that "Buy and Sell" scheme "leceh" and insist I take up the bank loan. When we were previously told we could do this scheme.

So with a heavy heart, he left me with no choice but to go ahead with the bank loan. I quickly went home and settle all the paperwork and get someone to help me scan all the necessary documents. The reason for my rush is because I was leaving Singapore for 5 days and didn't want to cause any necessary delay I even told him that he could take the keys from my mum in case he wants to start work early. While I was in Maldives I was so worried about the whole situation but Marion assured me it will be fine and not stress about it since we are on our holiday.

On 27 Sep 2014 just a day after we return from Maldives, I texted Sam about the bank loan he told me the bank was processing it and we still need to wait and he was still unable to start work. Haizzzz I was starting to feel something was not right here. Bank didn't call me for any clarification to the loan and usually, renovation bank loan didn't take this long.

Remember the discussion on 19 September 2014? Till now there was no quotation....... *ding ding ding how did he submit my bank loan without the quotation???? Obviously....... something is not right here, so I just play along to see what happen.

On 30 September 2014, I had to chase him again for the quotation. I texted him 3 times for quotation! He said he send to me but I never receive it. Then I ask him about the bank loan update he was not able to give me an answer. Finally, after 2 weeks delay I received a call from the banker, she told me that she needed my signature to process of paperwork and I did meet the banker to sign the papers and only found out that my application is only the first step application. Which means NOTHING was done while I was away in Maldives. (FYI the bank loan application was done via the ID, he also claim that it's easier since he have regular submission of loans)

So you see how disappointed I was.......

After a day or two I received a call from the bank to informed me that bank has given the principle approval for my loan but due to bank policy they will take a few days to give us a formal letter on the loan approval, I did inform Sam over the phone on the matter and told him if he could start the work but by now I don't know if he heard what I said he suddenly ask me to give me $10,000 cash and saying that there still no evidence that bank approves my loan. And reason for him asking me this $10,000 was because the bank process took longer than usual and he (I think) assumed that we will not get the bank loan and he kept mentioning about buying materials to start work. (Like seriously? Do you need $10,000?) It was less than a week before the bank approved my loan.

That being said on the other hand I had to vacate my home in order for my buyer to move in, meaning I had to move into a house which is not ready. Totally bare..... just grateful that we have flooring was done which was not so bad.

Remember the tight schedule I had and the timeline I was in, I did inform him much earlier, and when I told him that I need to move in he suddenly sound so shocked, very funny right? Didn't I always talk about timeline?

I took a chance to tell him about the "Buy and Sell" scheme and now he seems like he has an answer for me, he simply tells me that it's too late to do it.

It's already the 1 October 2014, still no revised quotation...... he still does not want to start work despite the principle approval.... Suddenly in his text message, he asks me about the details of the renovation works..... eh didn't we talk about all this before? wasn't he suppose to just send me an email? next day on 2 October 2014 I didn't receive the email at all when he claim he has emailed to me.

On 2 October 2014, he called me to tell me not to worry much about the quotation, thinking it will slip my mind and reminded me again about the $10,000 deposit.

Finally on the 3 October 2014, I receive a quotation and why am I not surprise that the quotation was not entirely correct there was so many missing items, items discussed was not properly revised in the quotation...... I was starting to get so pissed.

So when I know he can no longer start the work, I try to work on alternative route. I nicely asked him if he could provide me temporary lights and painting works, here is what he told me "Aishah, I can do all that for you but if you can give me $10,000 I can do a better job" It just seems that an established company cannot help the client, cannot understand the client's position and what else can I say? At this point in time, I wasn't bothered with starting the renovation works.... I was thinking of how my family can live in that house.....

I and Marion hurried to Ikea to get lights and thoroughly clean the house again. So that my family can somehow live in that house. Imagine this.... I have 2 kids, we didn't have lights for the toilet and we know our choices are limited. At the end of the day, my family buckle up and make do with what we have. Now you tell me should I be upset or not? How would you feel when you engaged an ID that can't even help you with Temporary lights..... temporary lights no need to be fancy just light bulbs only, how expensive can that be? Compare to the amount of money he earns, to amount of reputation he can have?

All that being said, I still remember that he told me on the phone that I should ask from my parent for that $10,000 in order to start work, what sort of person who go and tell the client that? Asking me to borrow from my parent??? Yes, it's Sam from #%$# Interior Design he is the one that told me that. From there onwards even if I that money I won't even want to give him. I never said I was a charity chase and that he is renovating my house for free, instead, I am willing to pay for that temporary lights if he wants me too. But to put me and my family in this position I think it's not right.

So the day came, 11 October 2014 I finally moved in on my birthday with a heavy heart.....

The day when he decided to tell me to ask for my parents money for the deposit, that was the day I decided that I no longer want to wait for him to start my work. At this point I already gotten a quotation from another company, they are not famous but they are willing to understand my situation.

By then bank loan approved but I clearly told the banker that I want to cancel that bank loan as I no longer require it, during this time my cheque from HDB has already cleared.

Now I posted this photo and got some attention....I have been receiving so many Direct Massages on twitter asking me about Interior Designer who is doing my job with NO payment NO deposit knowing that our situation...... they have definitely exceeded my expectation. But we will do this in another blog post.

And obviously, some people do judge me, thinking that I don't understand the situation. First and foremost, I may look young (ehem ehem!) but I do understand what a company can do and cannot do. If you haven't noticed I work in a construction industry too.

This matter have led to another thing, apparently Sam came to my place and saw some of the works without me knowing, fine I got no issue about it and he also found out that I cancel the bank loan. So he decided to send me a text message asking me for an explanation. Instead of playing nice he also mentioned to someone that I stole his design...... Like seriously?? You can't provide me revised quotation and 3D drawings.

Now let's recap from beginning:
- Lost of your client's floor plan.
- Expect me to know which material to choose for which item, when 3D drawing wasn't right.
- Struggling with revised quotation waited and waited.
- Kept saying that "Buy and Sell" scheme "leceh" and insist I take up the bank loan.
- Suggested that I should borrow money from my parents.
- Can't even help with temporary lighting.
- Came to my house without me knowing.
- Can't provide the service despite us paying a some of deposit.
- Not giving me a service and yet can demand an explanation when he found out I cancel the bank loan.

So let's also go back to my first intention to this blog post. I am not here to shame anyone but I am just giving my review of the service (or maybe no service) that I got and yet still demand an explanation from your client. Its is good enough that I have not yet demand my deposit to return to me, such company should remember to look after reputation than just having so many clients till you can't handle.

I am so glad that I didn't let the whole renovation process went through all the way, I also heard from another acquaintance that her renovation work & service was messy. Which is why going back to my first intention to review this company and their service. If you feel confident with him by all means I am sure he have many ideas for your new home, if you are confident with the company to provide you all that please go ahead. But at least, I do my part by sharing this experience before you spend $10,000, $20,000, $30, 000 or $40,000 of your hard earn money.

Just like everything that rate on all my review, here is a rating:

0 / 5

Just want to say that if you happen to read this, please read my disclaimer above. I do understand not everyone suffer the same fate, but this is my blog for me to share my honest review. 
Also, do NOTE that whatever that was written in this blog was based on Whatsapp conversation and evidence from Bank Loan Officer who was allegedly accused of delaying the bank loan process, in other words, I didn't create this story but it's based on evidence.
Updated: 2 Dec 2014

Comments

Popular Posts